Norwegian Merry Christmas Bread
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105 To 115 Degree F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|All purpose flour||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Ground cardamom||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Diced mixed candied fruit||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Jar)|
|Light raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar icing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Candied cherries||2 Tablespoon (Red And Green)|
1. In a small saucepan, heat milk just until bubbles form around edge of pan; remove from heat. Add sugar, butter and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved and butter melted. Let cool to lukewarm (a drop on wrist won't feel warm).
2. If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer. Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl, stirring until dissolved.
3. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, 4 cups flour, the cardamom and eggs; beat with wooden spoon or electric beater until smooth—about 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing in with hand until dough is stiff enough to leave side of bowl.
5. Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Knead until smooth—about 5 minutes.
6. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn dough over to bring greased side up. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, until double in bulk— about 1 hour.
7. Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Kuoad in candied fruit and raisins.
8. Grease two cookie sheets. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a smooth ball—8 inches in diameter; tuck edges under.
9. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk—1 to 1 1/2 hours.
10. Preheat oven to 350°F.
11. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.
12. Spread warm breads with Confectioners'-Sugar Icing, letting it run down sides. Decorate with candied red and green cherries.