Classic Irish Stew
|Boneless lamb shoulder||2 Pound|
|Hot water||1 Quart|
|Celery stalks||4 (With Leaves)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound (6 Medium Sized Ones)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Meat extract||2 Teaspoon (Concentrated)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Set out a large kettle or Dutch oven having a tight-fitting cover.
2. Have boneless lamb (shoulder) ready.
3. Cut meat into 2-in. pieces. To coat meat evenly, shake two or three pieces at a time in a plastic bag containing a mixture of flour, salt and pepper.
4. Melt fat in the kettle or Dutch oven.
5. Brown lamb pieces on all sides in hot fat, over medium heat, turning occasionally. Pour off excess fat. Remove from heat and slowly pour water into the kettle.
6. Cover and bring to boiling over high heat. Simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hrs., or until meat is almost tender.
7. Plan to add vegetables to cooking mixture about 45 min. before end of cooking period. About 15 min. before adding vegetables to stew, cut off root ends and a thin slice from the stem ends of onions.
8. Peel, rinse and set aside.
9. Trim roots, separate stalks, remove blemishes and wash celery.
10. Cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices and set aside.
11. Wash, scrape, cut carrots into about 1/2-in. pieces and set aside.
12. Wash, pare and quarter potatoes and turnip.
13. Add the prepared vegetables to the stew with salt and pepper.
14. Cover and simmer about 45 min., or until meat and vegetables are tender.
15. Just before removing meat and vegetables from stew, dissolve in a small amount of hot water concentrated meat extract.
16. With slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables from stew to hot dish.
17. Stir into the cooking liquid the dissolved concentrated meat extract.
18. To thicken cooking liquid, put water into 1-pt. screw-top jar.
19. Sprinkle flour into it.
20. Cover jar tightly and shake until mixture is well blended. Slowly pour one half of the mixture into cooking liquid while stirring constantly. Bring to boiling. Gradually add only what is needed of remaining flour-water mixture for consistency desired. Bring mixture to boiling after any addition. Cook 3 to 5 min. Return meat and vegetables to kettle and heat thoroughly.
21. Garnish stew with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.