Lemon Meringue Pie Using Ready Prepared Meringue
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (From Soft Type Bread, No Crusts)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Grated lemon rind||1 , grated|
|Lemons||2 Medium, juiced|
|9 inch pie shell||1 , baked|
|Meringue||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 400°F before baking.
2) Mix well sugar, cornstarch and salt in top part of double boiler and pour in hot water.
3) Beat the mixture until smooth and add in bread crumbs.
4) Stir cook the mixture over boiling water till it becomes smooth and thick.
5) Mix a little amount of this mixture with beaten egg yolks and stir well.
6) Add the egg yolk mixture back to the mixture in boiler, mix well and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
7) Add in butter, lemon rind and juice and let cool slightly.
8) Arrange the pie into baked shell and top with Meringue, covering and filling completely.
9) Cook in the preheated hot oven for 5 minutes until the pie is lightly browned.
10) Serve hot.