|Butter||8 Ounce, softened (225 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Eggs||4 Medium, beaten|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sifted (225 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Mixed candied peel||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Currants||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Sultanas||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Raisins||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, quartered (50 Gram)|
1. Let the oven heat to 300°F (150°C/Gas 2) and grease and line an 18 cm (7 in) round tin or a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the orange rind and the eggs, one at a time, adding 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the flour with each egg.
4. Beat thoroughly.
5. Using a metal spoon, stir in the ground almonds and dried fruit.
6. Fold in the remaining flour carefully.
7. Into the prepared tin place the mixture and arrange the split almonds over the entire top.
8. Let the cake for 21/2—3 hours bake until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Take out of the oven and leave in the tin for 2—3 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.