|Lean beef||1 Pound, cubed|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Carrots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Shredded white turnips/Rutabagas||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomato puree||2 Tablespoon|
|Cabbage||1⁄2 Small, shredded|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sour cream||1 Tablespoon|
1) Cover beef in salted water and let it simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
2) In a large saucepan, simmer beets, carrots, onion, tomato puree, turnips, sugar, butter, and vinegar and keep it covered for 15 minutes.
3) Stir in cabbage and cook further for 10 minutes ensuring to stir constantly.
4) Mix the vegetable mixture with the meat and broth along with pepper and bay leaves.
5) Let it cook until the vegetables are tender.
6) Check seasoning, drizzle sour cream and vinegar and serve.