Irish Soda Breads
|Whole-wheat flour||10 Ounce (275 Grams)|
|Strong white flour||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (About 300 Milliliter)|
1. Grease a baking sheet with oil or baking spray.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F, 190° C, 40 minutes before baking time.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the white flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix in the whole wheat flour and sugar.
4. Pour in the milk and stirring with a wooden spoon or your hand bind the ingredients into soft, smooth dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted board or work surface and knead with the back of your palm for 10 minutes until it is soft and pliable.
6. Using a well dusted rolling pin or your palm, flatter the dough into a circle 1 ½ inches in thickness.
7. Place the bread on the greased baking sheet and using a sharp tipped knife make a cross on the surface of the dough.
8. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the bread has risen and gets a golden brown crust.
9. Remove the bread from the oven and immediately invert it on to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before serving.
Calories 444 Calories from Fat 32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.7%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6 mg2%
Sodium 855.5 mg35.6%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.2%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 9.9% Iron 26.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet