Plum Meringue Slices
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole blanched almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), ground|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon (For Greasing)|
|Ripe plums||3⁄4 Pound|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Set the oven to 325°.
2) Grease a 12 x 18-inch baking pan.
3) Whisk the butter and sugar together until smooth.
4) Then add in 1 tablespoon of the flour alternately with each of the egg yolks.
5) Stir in vanilla extract, ground almonds, salt and lemon peel and add the left over flour.
6) Make a soft dough from the mixture.
7) Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan after rolling out or patting the dough.
8) Use a knife to smooth the dough so that it fits correctly.
9) Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
10) In the meantime, take a heavy-based saucepan with water and put the plums in it for the topping.
11) Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15-20 minutes very gently until the fruit is really tender and pulpy.
12) Use a slotted spoon to discard the plum pits after removing the pan from the heat.
13) Add 1/4 cup of the sugar to this.
14) Puree the plum mixture with a blender into a smooth, thick one.
15) Whip the egg whites with salt until they form soft peaks.
16) Further whisk in the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
17) Take the baking pan from the oven and raise the temperature to 375°.
18) Layer the plum puree onto the base of the cake and top with the whipped meringue.
19) Bake again in the oven for 10 minutes until the meringue is set and just starting to brown.
20) Cut into pieces and serve hot.