Spiced Swedish Meatballs
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Water/Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Beef bouillon cubes||3|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, dissolve beef bouillon cubes in water.
2) In a skillet, add shortening to melt over heat.
3) Add onion to sauté until tender.
4) In a large bowl, mix sautéed onion, meats, dry bread crumbs, beaten eggs, salt, sugar, pepper, nutmeg and water or milk.
5) Make 1 1/2-inch balls out of the mixture.
6) In a hot skillet, melt fat to fry the balls to brown.
7) Remove the meat balls.
8) Sprinkle flour in the remaining drippings and fat.
9) Pour in bouillon water and lemon juice, stirring to thick.
10) Add bay leaves and browned meat balls.
11) Gently cook the balls for 1 hour.
12) Serve the meat balls with spaghetti or bread rolls.