Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage Knabrus
|Bacon drippings/Butter /margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cabbage||1 Small, shredded medium fine|
|Yellow onions||3 Medium, peeled and sliced thin|
1. In a large skillet, melt fat over a medium flame.
2. Spread onions on the bottom in a single layer and sprinkle ½ tsp salt.
3. Layer the cabbage over the onions and sprinkle remaining ½ tsp salt.
4. Place a tight fitting lid on the skillet and steam the cabbage and onions for 15-20 minutes, until the cabbage is soft and the onions caramelized, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
5. Season cabbage with pepper and more salt if required.
6. Serve the cabbage as an accompaniment to beef steeaks or use as a filling for burgers and sandwiches.
Calories 163 Calories from Fat 120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.6%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.6 mg4.5%
Sodium 1058.8 mg44.1%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.8%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 1 g2.5%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 38.1%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 1.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet