Pineapple Meringue Pie
|Finely crushed graham crackers||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), melted|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Canned crushed pineapple||13 Ounce (Well Drained, With Syrup Reserved)|
|Eggs||2 Large (Separated)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Mix butter and graham cracker crumbs together and spoon the mixture into a loose-bottomed pie plate of 8-inches. Press firmly and evenly over the sides as well as the bottom, cover the plate and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3) To make the filling, gently mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of sugar together in a small, heavy based sauce pan. Stir some of the reserved pineapple syrup and make a smooth paste. Bring to a boil gently and remove from the flame.
4) Let the mixture cool down a bit and then beat in the egg yolks. Stir the crushed pineapple in and spoon the pineapple mix into the graham cracker case. Level the surface.
5) To make a topping, beat the egg whites in a very clean dry bowl till they are stiff and stand in peaks. Beat in the remaining sugar, about a tablespoon at a time and continue to beat till the meringue is glossy and stiff.
6) All over the pie, either pipe swirls of meringue or spread with the help of a spatula and then draw up in peaks.
7) Bake in preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or till the meringue has turned golden brown.
8) Set aside and allow the pie to cool.
9) Place on a serving plate and serve at room temperature.
Calories 788 Calories from Fat 347
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.4%
Saturated Fat 21 g105.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 186.4 mg62.1%
Sodium 420.3 mg17.5%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.1%
Sugars 66.9 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A 21.2% Vitamin C
Calcium 2.3% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet