Chicken Rolled In Grape Leaves
|Chicken breast meat||3⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Unsalted chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Yellow split peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked overnight and drained|
|Fresh mint||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Eggplant||1 Medium, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), peeled and crushed lightly so that they remain whole|
|Sesame paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Black olives||4 , pitted|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Cherry tomatoes||4 Large, halved|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon, melted|
1. In a medium saucepan,
2. Combine the stock, peas, mint, 1 tablespoon of cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper bring it to boil. Cover, reduce flame and simmer for 45 minutes or until the peas are soft.
3. In the meantime, toss the eggplant cubes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and drain on paper towels to absorb the moisture.
4. Preheat the oven to 350° F
5. Season the chicken cubes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper.
6. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium flame.
7. Brown the chicken cubes lightly by sautéing them for about 4 minutes.
8. Empty the skillet to a mixing bowl.
9. In the same skillet add another 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the garlic cloves for 2 minutes. Empty into a medium food processor jar.
10. Return skillet to the flame, heat another tablespoon of oil and sauté the eggplant cubes for 5 minutes until golden brown.
11. Combine the eggplant with the garlic in the good processor, along with sesame paste, cilantro, olives, lemon juice and black pepper. Blend to make a smooth puree.
12. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the puree in a small bowl and mix the remaining with the sautéed chicken to make the filling.
13. Rinse the grape leaves in cold water wipe and arrange flat on a clean work surface.
14. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling on each leaf.
15. Fold the sides of the leaf in and roll tightly. Make 8 rolls.
16. In a baking dish, make a bed of the cooked split peas and arrange the chicken grape leaf rolls on top.
17. Place the tomatoes around the sides of the dish after topping each tomato half with a bit of the reserved eggplant mixture.
18. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
19. Remove the rolls from the oven.
20. Drizzle melted butter over the chicken stuffed grape leaf rolls and serve hot.
Calories 484 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.4%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57.4 mg19.1%
Sodium 541.9 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.5%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 41 g82.7%
Vitamin A 50.9% Vitamin C 21.8%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 33.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet