|Castor sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Plain flour||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
1. Grease a cake tin with oil or butter or baking spray.
2. Cut a piece of grease proof paper to fit the bottom of the tin. This will help to give a smooth surface to the cake.
3. Preheat the oven to 325° F, 160° C
4. In a medium bowl, sift the flour to remove lumps and aerate it.
5. In a large basin, use an electric beater or wire whisk to beat the eggs and castor sugar for 5 minutes or until the eggs are double in volume and pale yellow.
6. Add flour, in three batches, folding gently into the egg mixture in figure 8 movements, until well incorporated. Over working the batter or beating it will result in a flat and dense cake. The batter must be light and fluffy.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
8. Tap the tin very lightly on a surface to ensure that it has spread evenly to all corners.
9. Place the cake tin on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake has risen and is beginning to brown. The cake must be springy and leaving the sides of the tin.
10. Remove tin from the oven and invert it on a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before icing or glazing it.
11. You can use this basic cake for making layered cakes or cut into pieces and serve with tea.
Calories 218 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.2%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 158.6 mg52.9%
Sodium 52.5 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.51 g2%
Sugars 21.6 g
Protein 6 g12%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 2.2% Iron 4.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet