Swedish Rye Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105 To 115 Degree F)|
|Margarine/Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut up|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Flavored)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Margarine/Butter||1 Tablespoon, softened|
1. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl place the 1/2 cup margarine or butter, sugar, molasses, and salt. Add the boiling water; stir till margarine is melted. Add rye flour. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually beat in yeast mixture till combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the all-purpose flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff" dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place till double in size (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours).
4. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Grease two 8 x 4 x 2-inch or 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Shape each half into a loaf and place in prepared pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place till nearly double (40 to 50 minutes).
5. Bake in a 350° oven 35 to 45 minutes or till done. Remove from pans. Brush tops of warm loaves with a little softened margarine. Cool on wire rack.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4688 Calories from Fat 1002
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g174.7%
Saturated Fat 19.6 g97.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4008.4 mg167%
Total Carbohydrates 814 g271.2%
Dietary Fiber 74.7 g299%
Sugars 117.3 g
Protein 118 g236.6%
Vitamin A 88.8% Vitamin C 0.45%
Calcium 44.4% Iron 316.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet