Lemon Lime Meringue Pie
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), divided|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), divided|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Lime juice||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1|
|Grated lime rind||1|
|9 inch baked pie shell||1|
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
2. Take a double boiler and add 1 cup sugar, butter, 1 1/2 cups of the water and salt to its top.
3. Boil this mixture over low heat.
4. Take a bowl and add cornstarch and remaining water in it. Blend well and add this mixture to sugar syrup and cook it over hot water for about 20 minutes.
5. Take another bowl and beat egg yolks in it.
6. Add spoonfuls of hot mixture to egg yolks and blend it well.
7. Put back this mixture to double boiler and cook for about 3 minutes by stirring it at constant intervals.
8. Remove the mixture from hot water and allow it to cool.
9. When cooled add rinds and fruit juices and mix them well.
10. When the filling completely cools spoon it to the baked pie shell.
11. Take a bowl and add egg whites to it. Beat the egg whites until the mixture becomes stiff. The mixture should not get dried while beating.
12. Fold in sugar to the mixture and beat it in gradual steps until the mixture stands in peaks.
13. Spread the mixture on the top of filling.
14. Bake in a hot oven for about 5 -10 minutes at 425° F until the mixture gets light browned.
6. Serve as required.