|Soft margarine||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Soft light brown sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Almond essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||7 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Sultanas||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Currants||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Chopped cherries||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Whole blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (For dusting)|
1. Grease a 7 inch square or an 8 inch round cake tin, with oil, butter or baking spray.
2. Line the base of the tin with a grease proof paper; this will help to unmould the cake.
3. Preheat the oven to 325° F, 160° C
4. In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Combine with the dried fruit and ground almonds.
5. In a large basin, use an electric beater or wire whisk to cream the fat and sugar for 5 minutes or until light and creamy.
6. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, beating into the cream until incorporated. If the mixture curdles, add a little flour.
7. Add the essence with the last egg and blend in.
8. Add the combined dry ingredients, in three batches, and use a spatula to fold gently into the mixture in figure 8 movements, until well incorporated. Over working the batter or beating it will result in a flat and dense cake. The batter must be light and well aerated.
9. Pour the batter in the prepared cake tin and lightly tap the tin on a flat surface so as to level out the batter in it.
10. Place the tin on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and arrange the whole almonds on the cake. Return the cake to the oven immediately and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until the cake is a deep brown and is springy to touch.
12. Remove tin from the oven and gently invert the cake on a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool sufficiently.
13. Dust the cake with icing sugar using a fine mesh tea strainer.
14. Cut into pieces and arrange on a platter.
15. Serve with tea or as a dessert with custard sauce or cream if desired.
Calories 913 Calories from Fat 374
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g63.9%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.5%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 158.6 mg52.9%
Sodium 420.9 mg17.5%
Total Carbohydrates 130 g43.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 76.8 g
Protein 11 g22.5%
Vitamin A 4.2% Vitamin C 33%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet