Poppy Seed Strudel
|Poppy seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil or butter.
3. In a basin, combine poppy seeds, sugar, lemon, and milk.
4. Place the basin over a saucepan of simmering water.
5. Stir and cook till thickened.
6. Stir in the raisins and keep aside to cool
7. Dust a large work table, with flour.
8. Roll out strudel dough into a large oblong.
9. Stretch the dough to maximum, reaching under the dough with both your palms, until it is transparent. Be careful not to tear it while stretching.
10. Cut off the thick edges.
11. Brush the dough with melted butter.
12. Spread prepared poppy seed filling over about 2/3 of the dough.
13. Tightly roll strudel, starting with end covered with filling.
14. Carefully transfer the strudel onto the greased baking pan.
15. Brush with melted butter.
16. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned.
17. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes.
18. Slice the strudel and serve warm