Caramelized Apple And Walnut Strudel
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Granny smith apples||4 , peeled|
|Currants||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Ground allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||3 Ounce, chopped (85 Gram)|
|Filo pastry sheets||6 Large|
|Butter||2 Ounce, melted (50 Gram)|
|Creme fraiche||200 Milliliter|
1. Preheat the oven to 340 degree F or 160 degree C
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
3. In a non stick skillet, combine 75 grams of sugar and vanilla.
4. Place the pan on a medium flame for 5 to 8 minutes until the sugar has caramelized.
5. When the sugar has melted and turned a rich bowl, add together the apples, currants, sultanas, allspice, nutmeg and walnuts, and sauté for 10 minutes or until the apple is tender.
6. Remove the apple mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
7. In the mean while, arrange a sheet of filo pastry on prepared baking sheet.
8. Brush the pastry with melted butter and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over the pastry. Repeat the process forming 3 layers of pastry on over the other.
9. Repeat with the remaining sheets of filo on the second tray.
10. Divide the apple stuffing into 2 equal portions and spoon the mixture along the shorter edge of both pastry sheets.
11. Gently roll into 2 tight logs, tucking the ends as you roll.
12. Brush the logs with melted butter and generously sprinkle sugar over them
13. These logs can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
14. Bake the strudels for 25 minutes in the preheated oven until the pastry is a rich golden brown the sugar has caramelized.
15. Remove the trays from the oven and allow the strudels to cool slightly.
16. Arrange the logs over a platter and slice at the table or
17. Slice each strudel diagonally into 6 slices.
18. Serve the strudel with custard sauce of Crème Fraiche if you like.