Dutch Apple Cake
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package , Active Dry Or Compressed)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Melted butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon|
1. Heat milk to scalding point and stir in sugar and shortening. Keep aside to cool to lukewarm
2. Grease two 8-inch baking pans with oil or butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F 15 minutes before baking time.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add warm water and crumble in yeast.
5. Stir until yeast dissolves and you see bubbles appearing on the surface.
6. Add lukewarm milk mixture and beaten egg and mix well
7. Gradually stir in cinnamon and flour to make a soft dough.
8. Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
9. Form dough into a tight ball and place in an oiled bowl.
10. Cover bowl and let dough ferment in a warm area until doubled in bulk.
11. Knock out air by lightly punching with your fist
12. Knead lightly and divide into half.
13. Place each into greased pans and press to line the bottom and sides.
14. Keep aside for another 15 minutes.
15. In the mean while peel, core and thinly slice apples.
16. Line apple slices on the dough in each pan
17. Glaze apples with butter
18. Generously sprinkle sugar and nutmeg on top
19. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes until caramelized.
20. Serve hot
Calories 336 Calories from Fat 104
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.2%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.5%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 37.3 mg12.4%
Sodium 508.1 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.5%
Sugars 18.8 g
Protein 6 g12.5%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 8.4%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 12.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet