|Ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Shredded cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Spring onions||8 , sliced|
1. In a small saucepan, boil the turnip and potatoes in salted water for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are tender.
2. Drain the vegetables in a colander and allow them to dry in the steam
3. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and turnip and place in a large mixing bowl.
4. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and turnip to a smooth paste stir in hot milk and seasonings.
5. Similarly, boil the turnip till tender.
6. Blanch the cabbage for 30 seconds in boiling salted water.
7. Refresh and drain thoroughly in a colander.
8. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over a medium flame.
9. Add the cabbage and spring onions to the pan and sauté in the butter for 1 minute.
10. Turn into the pan, the potatoes and turnip mash and mix well with the cabbage mixture.
11. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
12. Dish the mash into a bowl and serve hot with roasts or grilled meats. This Irish side dish tastes good with stew as well.
Calories 334 Calories from Fat 213
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37%
Saturated Fat 14.8 g74%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.3 mg21.8%
Sodium 600 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.3%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 9 g17.4%
Vitamin A 28.2% Vitamin C 81.3%
Calcium 29.1% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet