Cascade Apple Meringue Dessert
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Blanched almonds||6 Tablespoon|
|Lemon peel||3 Teaspoon, shredded|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Apples||5 , peeled halved and cored|
|Raspberry jam||6 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with oil or butter.
3. In a dry mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat using an electric hand beater until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
5. Stir in flour, almonds and lemon peel to make a dough.
6. Turn into a greased cake pan and press to cover bottom of the pan
7. Brush pastry with beaten egg white using a pastry brush.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until crust is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and cool.
10. Mean while make the topping by stewing apples with sugar and lemon juice in a large skillet.
11. When the apples are tender, take off the heat and cool.
12. Spread jam over the cooled pastry crust.
13. Arrange apple halves over the pastry.
14. In a clean dry bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff, adding sugar gradually while beating.
15. Spread meringue over apples.
16. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
17. Remove and allow to cool completely
18. Slice and serve as a dessert.