Cottage Cheese Strudel
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cottage cheese||1 Pound|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|White raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil or butter.
3. Press cottage cheese though a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Keep aside.
4. In a basin, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in egg yolks and sour cream into the creamed mixture.
6. Add lemon rind and sieved cottage cheese and fold in.
7. In a clean dry bowl, whisk egg whites till stiff. Fold into the cheese mixture.
8. Keep the filling aside.
9. Dust a large work table, with flour.
10. Roll out strudel dough into a large oblong.
11. Stretch the dough to maximum, reaching under the dough with both your palms, until it is transparent. Be careful not to tear it while stretching.
12. Cut off the thick edges.
13. Brush the dough with melted butter.
14. Spread prepared lemon cheese filling over about 2/3 of the dough.
15. Tightly roll strudel, starting with end covered with filling.
16. Carefully transfer the strudel onto the greased baking pan.
17. Brush with melted butter.
18. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned.
19. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes.
20. Dust the strudel generously with confectioners' sugar using a tea strainer.
21. Slice the strudel and serve warm with whipped cream if desired or
22. Wrap and send in your Christmas food hampers.