How to Make Water Kefir
|Kefir grains||1 Cup (16 tbs) (water kefir crystals used)|
|Organic sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon slice||1 (along with the pith)|
|Purified water||2 Cup (32 tbs), warmed to body temperature|
|Baking soda||1 Pinch|
1. In a sterilized jar, add the kefir crystals, organic sugar, organic raisins and a lemon slice.
2. Pour in the water and sprinkle with some baking soda. Stir well with a sterilized wooden spoon until the sugar and baking soda dissolve completely.
3. Cover the mouth of the jar with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band.
4. Allow the kefir to rest in a warm, dark place and check for taste after a day.
5. Pour the kefir water into serving glasses and serve.
It is important to sterilize your wooden spoon before using it for making kefir.
Use only purified water, distilled and tap water won't work.
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g2.2%
Saturated Fat 0.18 g0.92%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 112.9 mg4.7%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 26.3 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 4.5%
Calcium 1.7% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet