|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, Cakes, Active Dry Or Compressed)|
|Sifted enriched flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Chopped citron||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F before baking.
2. Heat milk below boiling point. Add salt, shortening and sugar and mix well and allow to become lukewarm.
3. Take a large mixing bowl, add warm water and crumble or sprinkle in yeast. Stir till yeast dissolves completely. Add to lukewarm milk mixture and stir thoroughly. Add two whisked eggs and beat till mixture turns soft. Add raisins, chopped almonds and citron, stir well and stir in rest of the flour.
4. Take a board, dust mildly with flour, transfer the yeast mixture and knead to elastic and smooth dough. Take a greased bowl, place the dough in it, cover and keep in a warm place for about 1.25 hours, avoiding draft, to double the mixture.
5. Press the dough down forcefully and place on a mildly floured board and halve the dough. Divide one of the portions into 3 and roll each into 18 inch long strip.
6. Take a baking sheet, grease it, arrange the strips and form a braid. Brush melted margarine or butter on the top of the strips.
7. Take 2/3rd from rest of the dough and make into 3 pieces and arrange on top of the first braid. Brush melted margarine or butter on the top of the strips.
8. Repeat with rest of the dough. Using toothpicks secure the braids.
9. Keep in a warm place for 1 hour, avoiding draft to double the bulk.
10. Add rest of the eggs to 1tbsp water and mix well. Use this to brush the loaf.
11. Use whole blanched almonds and bake for about 45 minutes.
12. Slice and serve.
Calories 1208 Calories from Fat 384
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.7%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 172.3 mg57.4%
Sodium 321.9 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 177 g58.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 48 g
Protein 27 g53.9%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 14% Iron 38.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet