Lemon Kefir Cookies
|Flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Kefir||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Plain)|
|Lemon||1 , zested|
|For powdered sugar glaze|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Kefir||2 Tablespoon (Green Valley Organics Lactose Free, Plain)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
For the cookies:
1. Mix dry ingredients except the sugar in a medium mixing bowl, using a whisk to get everything blended well. Set aside.
2. In a mixer, whip butter together with the sugar. Then add the oil, egg, vanilla, kefir and zest of one lemon. Don’t over mix, but do be sure it’s well blended. Slowly add your kefir to the mixture while blending. Follow with your bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well, but again, do not over mix. Stop blending the moment everything is well incorporated.
3. Cut dough into thirds and chill in separate bowls for about 3 – 4 hours.
4. Instead of using flour for your work surface, “flour” your work surface with powdered sugar which keeps the cookie’s flavor from being dulled by too much flour, and it’s just as effective. Work quickly. This dough is easier to handle when it’s cold.
5. Roll and cut your cookies. Use a thin spatula to help lift cut cookies off your work surface, as the dough can stick a bit depending on the type of work surface you use. With plenty of powdered sugar, you shouldn’t have any trouble with sticking.
6. Bake for 6 – 8 minutes, or just until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely on a cooling rack.
For the glaze:
1. Mix all your glaze ingredients together in a separate bowl, being sure to blend it into a smooth mixture.
2. Using a basting brush, brush all your cookies with a generous amount of glaze and allow to dry until the glaze is dry to the touch.
3. Store these in the fridge in an air-tight container with parchment paper between each layer.
To learn more about Green Valley Organics and their great products, visit www.greenvalleyorganics.com