The Gingerbread Man
|For the wet mixture|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted, cooled slightly (Butter-flavored Crisco)|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the dry mixture|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Tablespoon|
|For brushing the cookie dough|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and extracts until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, add and stir together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
3. Gradually add and mix in flour mixture (dry mixture) to the bowl with wet ingredients.
4. Divide the dough into 2 sections (roll into ball), place in 2 large zip lock bags, and refrigerate for 3 hours (at least) or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C) to make it all nice and toasty.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough (1 section at a time) out until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
7. Cut into gingerbread man shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies, 1 inch apart onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
8. Brush lightly with butter and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven.
9. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.
10. Serve as it is plain or frosted with icing.
2. Gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter