The Gingerbread Man
|For the wet mixture|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted, cooled slightly (Butter-flavored Crisco)|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the dry mixture|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Tablespoon|
|For brushing the cookie dough|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and extracts until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, add and stir together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
3. Gradually add and mix in flour mixture (dry mixture) to the bowl with wet ingredients.
4. Divide the dough into 2 sections (roll into ball), place in 2 large zip lock bags, and refrigerate for 3 hours (at least) or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C) to make it all nice and toasty.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough (1 section at a time) out until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
7. Cut into gingerbread man shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies, 1 inch apart onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
8. Brush lightly with butter and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven.
9. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.
10. Serve as it is plain or frosted with icing.
2. Gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.2%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.7%
Trans Fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 16.7 mg5.6%
Sodium 98.9 mg4.1%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 27.4 g
Protein 6 g11.5%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 0.65%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet