Swedish Apple Cake
|Zwieback||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 Stick)|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Canned applesauce||2 Pound (2 Cans Of 1 Pound Each)|
|Vanilla pudding-and-pie-filling mix||3 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Crush zwieback fine. (You will have about 2 1/2 cups.) Toss with melted butter or margarine in a large bowl. Measure out 1 cup of the mixture; press into 9x9x2-inch baking dish.
2. Stir lemon rind into applesauce in a medium-size bowl; spread half over crumb layer in pan. Sprinkle with half of the remaining crumb mixture; spread with the remaining applesauce mixture; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
3. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or until firm and golden. Cool in dish on wire rack.
4. Several hours before serving, prepare pudding mix with milk, stir in vanilla; chill.
5. Just before serving, beat cream until stiff in a medium-size bowl. Cut cake into squares; place on rimmed serving plates. Spoon custard sauce around cake; top with whipped cream. Garnish each with small spoonful red currant jelly, if you wish.