Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
|Eggs||3 Large, separated|
|Caster sugar||5 Ounce (Superfine, 150 Gram, 2/3 Cup)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Grated lemon rind||1|
|White breadcrumbs||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Milk||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter, 1 Cup)|
|Plain all purpose flour||4 Ounce (115 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Butter||2 Ounce, diced (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Lard/White vegetable fat||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||15 Milliliter (Superfine, 1 Tablespoon)|
|Water||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub or cut in the fats until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and enough chilled water to make a soft dough. Roll it out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 21cm/8 1/2in pie plate. Chill until required.
2. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and 30ml/2 tbsp of the caster sugar in a bowl. Add the lemon rind and juice, the breadcrumbs and milk, mix lightly and leave to soak for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Beat the filling until smooth and pour into the chilled pastry case. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Remove the pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes or until a slight skin has formed on the surface. Lower the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar to form a glossy meringue. Spoon on top of the lemon filling and spread right to the edge of the pastry, using the back of a spoon. Swirl the meringue slightly.
5. Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes, or until the meringue is crisp and golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.