Danish Pastry Dough
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Pound (4 Sticks)|
1. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a 1-cup measure. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar. Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand, undisturbed, until bubbly and double in volume, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine remaining sugar, milk, eggs, 3 cups of the flour, salt and the yeast mixture in large bowl. Beat, with electric mixer at medium speed, for 3 minutes (or beat with spoon, 3 minutes). Beat in remaining flour with a wooden spoon until dough is shiny, elastic and soft. Scrape down sides of bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Place the sticks of butter or margarine 1 inch apart, between 2 sheets of wax paper; roll out to a 12-inch square. Chill on a cooky sheet until ready to use.
4. Sprinkle working surface heavily with flour, about 1/3 cup; turn dough out onto flour; sprinkle flour on top of dough. Roll out to an 18x13-inch rectangle. Brush off excess flour with a soft pastry brush.
5. Peel off top sheet of wax paper from butter; place butter, paper side up on one end of dough to cover two-thirds of the dough; peel off remaining sheet of wax paper. For easy folding, carefully score butter lengthwise down center, without cutting into dough. Fold uncovered third of dough over middle third; brush off excess flour; then fold remaining third of dough over middle third to enclose butter completely. Turn dough clockwise so open side is away from you.
6. Roll out to a 24x12-inch rectangle using enough flour to keep dough from sticking. Fold ends in to meet on center; then fold dough in half to make 4 layers. Turn again so open side is away from you.
Calories 1157 Calories from Fat 685
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g119.8%
Saturated Fat 48 g240.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 283.1 mg94.4%
Sodium 443.9 mg18.5%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.2%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 17 g33.5%
Vitamin A 48% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 9% Iron 33%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet