|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Anise extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. Beat eggs in a large bowl, with an electric mixer, until very thick (this takes about 10 minutes); gradually add sugar, continuing to beat 15 minutes, or until very light and fluffy.
2. Beat in anise extract, then add flour and baking soda to make a stiff dough.
3. Roll out dough, one quarter at a time, on a lightly floured surface, to 1/2-inch thickness. Then, using springerle rolling pin, roll over dough only once, pressing designs into dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut cookies apart on dividing lines.
4. Grease large cooky sheets; sprinkle lightly with anise seeds. Carefully place cookies, 1 inch apart, on prepared cooky sheets. Let stand 24 hours, uncovered, in cool place (not refrigerator). Cookies will appear to have white frosting.
5. Place cookies in moderate oven (375°) and immediately lower heat to slow (300°). Bake 15 minutes, or until set but not browned.
6. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Store in tightly covered container about 2 weeks to season.