Scandinavian Rye Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Very warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Sifted all purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup of the very warm water; stir in 1 teaspoon of the molasses. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand, undisturbed, to proof until bubbly and double in volume, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine remaining water and molasses with salt and shortening in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture, rye flour and caraway seeds; add enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using enough of the remaining flour to keep dough from sticking.
4. Place in buttered large bowl; turn dough to bring buttered side up; cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
5. Butter a large cooky sheet. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
6. Punch dough down; turn onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert bowl over dough; let rest 10 minutes; divide dough in half and knead each half a few times. Shape into 2 loaves. Place at least 4 inches apart on prepared cooky sheet.
7. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Brush tops with water.
8. Bake in a hot oven (400°) 35 minutes, or until browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from cooky sheet to wire rack; cool completely.
Calories 198 Calories from Fat 14
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.6%
Saturated Fat 0.2 g1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 9.7 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14%
Dietary Fiber 12.2 g48.7%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 8 g15.8%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 3.3% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet