Armenian Stuffing For Cabbage Leaves
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Raw rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pistachio nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken broth/Canned chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Prepare the cabbage for stuffing.
2. In a skillet heat the oil, add the onion and cook gently until golden brown. Add the rice and cook, covered, over low heat one-half hour. Stir occasionally.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except the cabbage and stock and cook five minutes longer.
4. Strain the liquid into a heavy round casserole. Stuff the cabbage leaves with the rice mixture.
5. Arrange the stuffed leaves in the casserole and weight down with an inverted plate that fits loosely inside the casserole. Add enough chicken stock to reach the rim of the plate and simmer until done, about thirty minutes.
Calories 515 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 849 mg35.4%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.2%
Sugars 21 g
Protein 9 g17.5%
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 164.4%
Calcium 14.6% Iron 16.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet