Poppy Seed Rolls
|Skimmed milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter / 1 1/4 cup, warm)|
|Dried yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Strong white flour||1 Pound (450 gram / 4 cups)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. Put half the warm milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the sugar, mix well and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and the egg. Gradually incorporate the flour, adding enough of the remaining milk to mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return to the clean bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
4. Lightly grease two baking sheers. Turn the dough on to a floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes, then cut into 12 pieces and shape into rolls.
5. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheets, cover loosely with a large plastic bag (ballooning it to trap the air inside) and leave to stand in a warm place until the rolls have risen well. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7.
6. Glaze the rolls with beaten egg, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Calories 987 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.4%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 213.9 mg71.3%
Sodium 1109.1 mg46.2%
Total Carbohydrates 183 g61%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.4%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 36 g72.2%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 2.1%
Calcium 31.8% Iron 70.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet