Fresh Lemon Meringue Pie
|Single crust pie pastry||1|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (plus 1 pinch)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, cut into pieces|
|Egg whites||4 Large|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Prepare the Pastry Dough as directed through chilling.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 12-inch round. Gently roll dough onto rolling pin and ease into 9-inch pie plate, gently pressing dough against side of plate. Trim edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; make decorative edge. Refrigerate or freeze until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Line pie shell with foil; fill with pie weights or dry beans. Bake 10 minutes. Remove foil with weights; bake until golden, about 10 minutes longer. If pastry puffs up during baking, press it down with back of spoon. Cool on wire rack. Turn oven control to 400°F.
4. Meanwhile, from lemons, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 3/4 cup juice; set aside. In 2-quart saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
5. In small bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks. Stir in 1/3 cup hot cornstarch mixture until blended; slowly pour egg-yolk mixture back into hot cornstarch mixture in saucepan, stirring rapidly to prevent curdling. Place saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until filling is very thick, about 4 minutes, or temperature on thermometer reaches 160°F. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted, then gradually stir in lemon peel and juice until blended. Pour into cooled pie shell.
6. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and remaining pinch salt until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Sprinkle in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar has completely dissolved and egg whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted.
7. Spread meringue over filling to edge of pie shell. Decoratively swirl meringue with back of spoon. Bake until meringue is golden, about 10 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack away from draffs. Refrigerate at least 3 hours for easier slicing or up to 2 days.