Quick Cherry Strudel
|Frozen patty shells||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Cherry pie filling||5 Ounce (1Can / 1 Pound)|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced unblanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Let patty shells soften at room temperature for 20 minutes.
3. Combine cherry pie filling and lemon rind in a small bowl; reserve.
4. On a well-floured cloth-covered surface, overlap patty shells in a straight line. Using a floured stockinette covered rolling pin, press down onto the patty shells. (Note: You may use a floured rolling pin without the stockinette, but flour the rolling pin frequently to prevent the patty shells from sticking.) Roll out from center of patty shells to a 22x16-inch rectangle, being careful not to tear pastry.
5. Sprinkle pastry with bread crumbs.
6. Spoon cherry pie filling down length of pastry closest to you into a 2-inch strip and within 2 inches of ends. Fold in sides; keep filling in.
7. Using the floured cloth, grasp at both ends and gently lift the cloth up and let the strudel roll itself up. Carefully slide onto a cooky sheet, keeping seam side down, and form into a horseshoe shape.
8. Brush top generously with milk; sprinkle almond slices on top, pressing well in order to keep in place. Then sprinkle with sugar.
9. Lower oven heat to (400°); bake 25 minutes or until golden brown; let cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. Serve the strudel warm.