Swiss Honey Almond Cookies
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground anise||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Honey almond filling||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||4 Teaspoon|
1. In a medium bowl, beat honey, brown sugar, egg, brandy, and lemon zest with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, anise, coriander, salt, and cloves. Add to honey mixture and beat on low speed until dough is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Divide dough in half; wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until firm. (Meanwhile, prepare filling.)
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Between pieces of generously floured wax paper, roll out each piece of dough to make a 10 x 6-inch rectangle. Cut dough rectangles in half lengthwise to make two 10 x 3-inch strips from each large rectangle.
3. Place one fourth of filling lengthwise in a mound down center of each strip. Moisten lengthwise edges of pastry. Lift pastry edges of one strip to cover filling and overlap slightly; roll over, seam side down. Repeat with remaining strips to make 4 rolls. Cut each roll crosswise into 12 cookies. Place cookies, seam side down, 2 inches apart on well-greased baking sheets.
4. Bake 20 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Remove cookies to racks immediately.
5. Meanwhile, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Brush glaze over hot cookies as soon as they have been removed to racks. Let cool completely. Store in a tightly covered container. Cookies are best if allowed to ripen 3 or 4 days before serving.