|Dried egg white||30 Milliliter|
|Caster sugar||225 Gram|
|Double cream||150 Milliliter|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Brush two 20 cm/8 in sandwich tins with oil, line the bases with baking parchment and lightly oil the parchment.
2. Brown the hazelnuts under a medium grill or in the oven, rub off the skins, then chop the nuts finely.
3. Blend the egg white and 30 ml/2 tbls of the water until smooth, then blend in the remaining water. Whisk until very stiff. Whisk in the sugar, and continue whisking until the meringue becomes stiff and heavy. Fold in the chopped nuts and divide the mixture between the two tins. Level the tops.
4. Bake in the centre of a moderately hot oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes until crisp and lightly browned. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Turn out, remove the parchment and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To serve, whip the cream until stiff and sandwich the meringues together with the cream. Place on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar. If liked, sliced strawberries or crushed raspberries may be spread over the cream before sandwiching the meringues together.