Rhubarb Meringue Pie
|Rhubarb||1 1⁄2 Pound, chopped (675 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||9 Ounce (Generous, Superfine, 250 Gram, 1 Cup)|
|Grated orange rind||3|
|Oranges||3 , juiced|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Cornflour||75 Milliliter (Cornstarch, 5 Tablespoon)|
|Whipped cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (To Serve)|
|Plain flour||7 Ounce (All Purpose, 200 Gram, 1 3/4 Cup)|
|Ground walnuts||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 1 3/4 Cup)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Sugar||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten with water|
|Water||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl and add the walnuts. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles very fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and egg yolk mixture to make a firm dough. Knead lightly, wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm/ 9in fluted flan tin (quiche pan). Prick the base all over with a fork. Line the pastry with foil and baking beans, then bake for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the filling, put the chopped rhubarb in a large pan with 75g/3oz/6 tbsp of the sugar. Add the orange rind. Cover and cook over a low heat until tender.
4. Remove the foil and beans from the pastry case, then brush all over with a little egg yolk. Bake the pastry case for about 15 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
5. Mix together the cornflour and the orange juice in a mixing bowl. Remove the rhubarb from the heat, stir in the cornflour mixture, then return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1-2 minutes more. Cool slightly, then beat in the remaining egg yolk. Pour into the pastry case.
6. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then whisk in the remaining sugar, 15ml/1 tbsp at a time, whisking well after each addition.
7. Swirl the meringue over the rhubarb and orange filling to cover completely. Bake for 25 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Serve the pie warm, or transfer it to a wire rack and leave to cool for about 30 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4063 Calories from Fat 1357
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 155 g237.8%
Saturated Fat 80.6 g403%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1146.2 mg382.1%
Sodium 282.6 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 622 g207.5%
Dietary Fiber 37.4 g149.6%
Sugars 341.8 g
Protein 49 g97.8%
Vitamin A 116.1% Vitamin C 585.1%
Calcium 109.5% Iron 41.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet