Chocolate Pear Roulade
|Corn oil||1 Tablespoon (For Oiling)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Scant)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1 Ounce (1 Heaping Tablespoon, Plus 1 Tsp For Dusting)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1 Teaspoon (For Dusting)|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Scant)|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange||1 , halved|
|Low fat mascarpone cheese||7⁄8 Cup (14 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a 10 3/4- x 67-inch/27- x 17-cm jelly roll pan with waxed paper and oil very lightly.
2. Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa together into a mixing bowl.
3. Put the eggs and sugar into a warmed, heatproof glass mixing bowl and whisk until pale in color and a trail is left when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture.This will take approximately 15 minutes if using an electric hand mixer (If using a manual hand mixer, the mixture can be whisked over a pan of hot but not boiling water to help reduce the whisking time.)
4. Carefully fold the flour mixture into the whisked egg mixture using a metal tablespoon. Stir in the hot water. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and gently tilt to level the mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the point of a sharp knife inserted into the center of the sponge comes out clean.
5. Turn the sponge out onto a sheet of waxed paper placed over a clean dish towel. Carefully peel the lining paper off the sponge and trim any crisp edges with a sharp knife.
6. Using the waxed paper under the sponge, loosely roll up the sponge from the short end and let cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from 1 orange half into a bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the pears.Thinly slice and toss in the juice to prevent discoloration. Slice the remaining orange half and set aside for decoration.
8. Carefully unroll the cooled sponge and spread with the mascarpone cheese, eaving a 1-inch/2.5-cm border. Drain any excess orange juice from the pears. Set aside a few pear slices for decoration and cover the mascarpone cheese with the remaining slices. Carefully reroll the sponge.
9. Using a sharp knife, slice the roulade into portions and serve on plates decorated with the reserved pear and orange slices. Lightly sift over the unsweetened cocoa and serve at once.This dessert is best eaten on the day it is made—any leftover roulade should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 24 hours.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1670 Calories from Fat 642
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g114.9%
Saturated Fat 33.1 g165.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 423 mg141%
Sodium 144.6 mg6%
Total Carbohydrates 230 g76.6%
Dietary Fiber 27.5 g109.9%
Sugars 156.6 g
Protein 37 g73.9%
Vitamin A 18.3% Vitamin C 140.2%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 24.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet