Danish Fried Cookies
|Butter||6 Tablespoon, softened|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and then add sour cream, bearing until light and fluffy.
2. Mix flour, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt and beat in gradually on low speed until dough is smooth. Scrape side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Wrap dough and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, until firm.
3. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Between pieces of floured wax paper, roll out one third of dough to make an 8 x 20-inch rectangle. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut rectangle into two 4-inch strips. Cut strips crosswise diagonally at 2-inch intervals. Cut a slit down center of each piece, starting 1/2 inch from one end and ending 1/2 inch before other end. Gently lift one end of dough and pull it through slit to twist dough. Twist remaining pieces and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. In a deep-fat fryer or large heavy saucepan, heat 4 inches of oil to 375°F. on a deep-fat thermometer. Fry dough twists, several at a time, 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
5. With a slotted spatula, remove fried cookies to paper towels to drain. When cookies are cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and store in a tightly covered container.