Harvest Apple Strudel
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Apple juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced tart apples||2 Pound (5 Cups, Such As Granny Smith / Cortland)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||8 Ounce, thawed (12 Sheets From 1 Pound Package, 16 X 12 Inch Size)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), melted (1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Dry bread crumbs||10 Tablespoon|
1. Combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch and juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
2. Toss the apples with the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium-size bowl. Mix in the juice mixture until the apples are coated. Fold in the raisins and nuts.
3. Unfold the phyllo dough and cover with a damp towel to prevent the dough from drying out. Place a clean towel on a flat surface. Spray the towel with cold water to dampen lightly. Place one sheet of phyllo on the towel, long side toward you. Place another sheet, overlapping 4 inches at the top, to make a 20xl6-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with the butter; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the crumbs. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, butter and crumbs. Do not sprinkle any crumbs on the top layer. Spoon the apple mixture in an even row across the side of the pastry near you, 2 inches in from the edge. Using the towel as an aid, roll the dough over the filling; fold the ends in to enclose the filling completely. Roll up like a jelly roll, using the towel to aid in the rolling; do not roll the towel up in the cake.
4. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°). Line a large cookie sheet with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
5. Ease the roll onto the cookie sheet, seam-side down. Brush the roll with some of the butter. Turn the foil up 1/2 inch all around the edge to catch any spills.
6. Bake the roll in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 35 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Let the roll cool for 20 minutes. Slide the roll onto a board. Sprinkle with 10 X sugar, if you wish.