Cracked Wheat Swedish Limpa
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes, 0.25 Ounce Each)|
|Warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon|
|Anise seeds||1 Teaspoon, crushed with hammer|
|Cracked wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole rye flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
1. Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup of the warm water; stir in 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand, undisturbed, to proof until bubbly and double in volume, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine remaining water and sugar with molasses, shortening and salt in a small saucepan. Heat until shortening melts; cool to lukewarm.
3. Combine yeast mixture and molasses mixture in large bowl. Add orange rind, anise seeds, cracked wheat and rye flour. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, using remaining all-purpose flour to keep dough from sticking; add more flour, if needed.
5. Place in buttered large bowl; turn to bring greased side up; cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; invert bowl over dough; allow to rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half and knead each half a few times, then shape each into an oval loaf. Place on buttered cooky sheets.
7. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 40 minutes, or until double in bulk.
8. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 45 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Cool loaves on wire racks.
Calories 934 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.5%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.7%
Trans Fat 1.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1190.4 mg49.6%
Total Carbohydrates 186 g61.9%
Dietary Fiber 26 g104%
Sugars 24.6 g
Protein 26 g52.6%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 69%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet