Oeufs A La Neige
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Caramel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|English cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Pour the milk into an eight- or nine-inch skillet and add the vanilla bean. Over low heat let the milk warm to a point where bubbles appear around the edge.
2. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until foamy. At this point, gradually start to add the sugar, continuing to beat until the egg whites are stiff.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and drop the beaten egg whites on the milk in very large, rounded spoonfuls.
4. Return the skillet to very low heat; the surface of the milk should barely quiver. Cook the mounds of egg white two minutes. Using a skimmer or two forks, turn and cook two minutes on the other side, or until the meringues are firm to the touch
5. Remove the meringues to a towel and drain. Reserve the milk and vanilla bean for the English cream.
6. Pile the meringues in a shallow bowl and chill. To serve the dessert, fill a crystal bowl with the chilled English cream, float the poached meringues on top and trickle the caramel over the meringues.
Calories 334 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.3%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63.3 mg21.1%
Sodium 118.1 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.33 g1.3%
Sugars 35.2 g
Protein 6 g13%
Vitamin A 13.4% Vitamin C 0.49%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 0.42%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet