Lemon Meringue Pie
|Plain flour||225 Gram|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Milliliter|
|Lard/White fat||50 Gram|
|Dried egg powder||45 Milliliter|
|Dried egg white||30 Milliliter|
|Caster sugar||150 Gram|
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the fats cut into small pieces and rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sufficient water to form a firm dough. Knead lightly.
2. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 20 cm/8 in flan ring on a baking sheet. Line the flan with foil or greaseproof paper and weigh down with baking beans. Bake in the centre of a moderately hot oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6 for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and foil or paper and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to dry the centre.
3. Grate the rind and the squeeze juice from the lemons. Place in a small saucepan with the cornflour and sugar and mix to a smooth cream. Gradually blend in the water. Bring to the boil, stirring, and cook for 2 minutes until thick.
4. Blend the dried egg and water together to a smooth cream, stir in a little of the lemon sauce, then whisk the egg mixture into the remaining lemon sauce. Leave to cool slightly, then pour into the pastry case.
5. Blend the egg white and 30 ml/2 tbls of water together until smooth. Gradually mix in the remaining water and whisk until stiff. Fold in the sugar lightly but thoroughly. Pile on top of the lemon mixture to cover the filling. Bake in the centre of a cool oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2 for 20 to 30 minutes until the meringue is crisp and golden. Serve warm.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2753 Calories from Fat 1002
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 112 g172.9%
Saturated Fat 51.9 g259.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 926.8 mg308.9%
Sodium 1598.4 mg66.6%
Total Carbohydrates 369 g123%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.7%
Sugars 153.3 g
Protein 60 g120.6%
Vitamin A 34.3% Vitamin C 82.1%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 25%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet