|Canned sauerkraut||27 Ounce (Two Cans 1 Pound 11 Ounces Each)|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Knockwurst||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Red apple||1 , quartered, cored and sliced|
1. Soak sauerkraut 5 minutes in cold water in a large bowl; drain well.
2. Place pork hocks in a Dutch oven or large, flameproof casserole. Add drained sauerkraut, wine and bay leaf. Press cloves into onion; press onion down into sauerkraut. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover. Simmer very slowly for 1 1/2 hours, tossing with a fork once or twice, or until pork hocks are almost tender.
3. Score knockwurst with a sharp knife; place on sauerkraut; simmer for about 20 minutes longer. Add apple slices, pushing them down into sauerkraut; cook 10 minutes longer.
4. Scrub potatoes well; cook in boiling salted water to cover in a medium-size saucepan 20 minutes, or until done.
5. Arrange choucroute with potatoes on a large deep platter. Serve with whole-wheat bread and mustard, if you wish.