Almond Meringue Torte
|Sifted cake flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|10x confectioners' powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Grease two 8x1 1/2-inch layer-cake pans; dust lightly with flour; tap out any excess.
2. Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper; reserve.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy-white in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; beat in 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks.
4. Cream butter or margarine in a medium-size bowl with mixer at high speed; beat in remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar gradually until fluffy. Beat in yolks, one at a time, blended, then vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, alternately with milk, till blended; spoon into pans.
5. Spread half of meringue over batter in" each pan; sprinkle both layers with almonds.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or until golden.
7. Cool in pans on racks 5 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto palm of hand; place, meringue up, on racks; cool.
8. Beat cream with 10X sugar and cinnamon until stiff in a medium-size bowl. Place one meringue layer on a serving plate; spread with half whipped-cream mixture; top with second layer and top with remaining whipped cream. Chill.