|Sifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Candied citron||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Sifted 10x confectioners powdered sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Red And Green Colored, Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cloves and pepper into large bowl; stir in anise, cardamom, citron and orange peel.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and 1 cup of 10X sugar till well mixed in medium-size bowl. (Reserve the remaining 10X sugar for Step 4.) Gradually stir in egg, then flour mixture, just until blended. Chill dough overnight, or till firm.
3. Roll dough, about 1 teaspoonful at a time, into small balls; place, 2 inches apart, on greased cookie sheets. Top each with a piece of candied cherry.
4. Stir milk into reserved 1/4 cup of 10X sugar until smooth in small cup. Drizzle very lightly over top of each cooky.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 8 minutes, or till lightly browned. Remove from sheets at once; cool on racks.