Coq Au V1N
|Stewing chicken||1 , cut up|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Diced cooked ham||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled|
|Dry red wine||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Canned mushroom caps||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
1. Shake chicken pieces with flour and salt in a plastic bag to coat well.
2. Brown pieces, a few at a time, in butter or margarine in a large skillet; place in a 12-cup baking dish; sprinkle with ham and top with onions.
3. Stir red wine, mushrooms and liquid and garlic into drippings in the pan; bring to boiling, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour over chicken mixture.
4. Tie peppercorns, whole cloves and bay leaf in cheesecloth; add to baking dish; cover.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 2 hours and 15 minutes, or till chicken is very tender.
6. Uncover; remove spice bag and let chicken stand for 5 to 10 minutes, or until fat rises to top, then skim off. Garnish with parsley, if you wish.