Family Best Swiss Steak
|Boneless round steak/Boneless chuck steak||1|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Leaf marjoram||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
1. Rub steak with flour to coat generously; brown in vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet or in an electric frying pan; remove and set aside for next step.
2. Saute onion and celery until soft in same pan; stir in tomato sauce, water, salt, sugar, marjoram and pepper. Return steak to pan; cover.
3. Simmer 2 hours, or until meat is very tender. Remove to a heated serving platter and keep hot while making gravy.
4. Let juices stand in pan about 1 minute, or until fat rises to top; skim off all the fat; reheat gravy to boiling.
5. Cut the steak into 1/4-inch-thick slices; serve with gravy.