|All purpose flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), blanched|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Make 2 or 3 weeks ahead, if desired:
1. In large bowl combine flour, 1 cup sugar, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until like corn meal; then knead until firm. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
3. On lightly floured surface, with palms of hands, roll dough into pencil-shaped rolls 1/2 inch thick; cut rolls into 2-inch pieces.
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and almonds. Now dip top of each 2-inch piece in egg, then in sugar-almond mixture. Place, nut side up, on lightly greased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden.
6. Cool on wire racks. Store in tightly-covered container; these keep well. Makes about 70.