Rabbit's Ears Fattigman
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , slightly beaten|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 Tablespoon|
Make day before, or several days ahead:
1. Mix flour with granulated sugar.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Then add eggs, cardamom, cognac, and cream, beating until thoroughly blended.
3. Wrap dough in foil, wax paper, or saran; refrigerate until well chilled.
4. Divide chilled dough into fourths. On lightly-floured surface, roll out one-fourth of dough paper thin (refrigerate remainder). Cut into strips 1 1/2-inches wide; cut each strip into 4- to 5-inch pieces. Make a 1-inch slash along lengthwise center of each piece. Now pull one end of piece all the way through this slash. Repeat with rest of dough.
5. In deep saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches of salad oil to 380Â°F. on deep-fat-frying thermometer.
6. Drop in pieces, a few at a time. Fry until golden on both sides, turning once.
7. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels. When cool, sprinkle with confectioners 'sugar. Store in tightly-covered container. Makes about 80.